Re: Can I create two DB instance in one NT 4.0 box

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1997/11/21

In article <3475E897.6E220ACB_at_cis.hkuspace.org>, U95NKM <U95NKM_at_cis.hkuspace.org> wrote:
>Hi,
>
> I am very new in Oracle, please forget my about some fundmental
>question.
>
> I would like to create two database in Oracle 7, one is called
>personnel and another is called sales, but I cannot find any way to do
>this. When I create the other instance, the other will be stopped
>automatically or vice versa.
>
> I would like to know is there any way to create two separately
>instance in Oracle 7 and 8 as I will migrate to v.8 very soon.
>
> Thank you for your attention
>
>Kevin

It sounds like what you really want to do is create two schemata in one database. CREATE USER PERSONNEL and CREATE USER SALES.

Instances/databases are a much more global concept in Oracle than you appear to be used to. You best delve into the Server Concepts Manual and the Server Administrators Guide.

comp.databases.oracle is a defunct group. You probably wanted to post this in comp.databases.oracle.server or .misc

jg

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry_at_eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com