Re: Simple persistent object storage: seeking advice on storing user defined, runtime defined abstract datatypes into Oracle

From: Kelly Murray <kem_at_math.ufl.edu>
Date: 1997/11/15

> I need to store/retrieve *arbitrary* user defined abstract data into Oracle.

You've got big round pegs (objects) going into tiny square holes (tables)...

>It strikes me that I could:
> Create a table of RecordHeaders with records of (RecordName, RecordID)

Sure, it is mostly your only real choice. I've done such contortions. You're DBA is quite right, it's horrible, and will perform similarly, perhaps 2-3 orders of magnitude slower (and bigger) than storing square pegs, and loses the power of an RDB, which is efficient sorting/indexing of columns. And then you're colleages will surely point and say how slow LISP is.

You need round holes, an OODB, and in fact, a LISP OODB. Franz has one. Another one you should look into is Heiko Kirschke's PLOB.

Your efficient alternative is to make the data square pegs, and just have an O-O interface to the RDB data, and thus it must all be statically typed and statically defined/compiled.

-Kelly Received on Sat Nov 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message