Re: oraperl

From: John D Groenveld <groenvel_at_cse.psu.edu>
Date: 1997/11/13

In article <01bcef72$351e0000$3e03b480_at_mm>, Phil R Lawrence <prl2_at_lehigh.edu> wrote:
>I had been told by members of my shop that the DBI idea was great but
>perhaps too ambitious - that it didn't work well for Oracle. They
>currently incorporate "use oraperl" in their perl scripts. Could they be
>using the 2nd thing you mention (Oraperl.pm) or is that a part of DBI
>DBD::Oracle? What are the problems you know of using DBI DBD::Oracle? How
>about using oraperl for Perl 4 with Perl 5, if that is indeed what my shop
>is doing?

You're now mixing two issues. Perl4 vs Perl5 and DBI vs Oraperl.

Perl4 vs Perl5. If "perl -v" prints anything like 4.036, then its time to move on.

DBI vs Oraperl. Oraperl is the emulation for oraperl, the Perl4 extension. Whether you use Oraperl or DBI, is a personal decision. Its the difference between $dbh = DBI->connect(dbi:Oracle:TNSalias, $username, $auth) and $lda = &ora_login(TNSalias, $name, $password)

John
groenvel_at_cse.psu.edu Received on Thu Nov 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message