Re: Oracle speed

From: Peaches <fsgchi_at_wwa.com>
Date: 1997/11/10

Anthony DeLuca <adeluca_at_fyi.net> wrote in article <34670A91.A4D59F88_at_fyi.net>...
> I am working on a project using Delphi 3 for the front end, and
> Oracle 7 server for the back end. We
> are have a problem with speed for doing inserts into tables. At certain
> points we are inserting up to
> 100,000 data file records into the database. There is information going
> into 3 tables from this database file.
> It takes up to 35 minutes to do an insert this big.
<<snip>>

You may want to use SQL*Loader to do these loads. In addition, if the volume
of records being inserted is more than 10% of the total records in the table, you may want to drop the indexes during the insert and build them afterwards.

Single threading will almost always be slower than multi-threading. Is there
a logical way to break this single insert into 5 smaller jobs and to run them in parallel?

I'm not sure what your scripts are doing, but if you are trying to scrub and load in the same procedure, the slowness may be on the scrubbing and not on the inserting.

I don't know if your disk arrays are properly balanced and tuned, if you are using any type of mirroring, or the length of the rows that you are trying to insert. All of these things may impact performance.

I hope that I've given you a few places to look for the possibility of performance improvements.

--
Peaches	  http://miso.wwa.com/~fsgchi
	  reply to: fsgchi at wwa dot com