Re: Which Database?

From: Dave Minor <davem_at_comports.com>
Date: 1997/11/07

On Thu, 06 Nov 1997 10:36:56 -0500, "Joel D. Yonts" <joel_at_haste.gws.uky.edu> wrote:

> I am planning to setup a rather large database on my Linux
>machine and I was looking for suggestions. I am a Sys Admin
>and I am implementing a problem/question tracking database. I
>may want to have it accessible from WWW and I would like to have
>something that supports ANSI (or close to ANSI) SQL. Any
>suggestions?

Joel, I don't know if they have a Linux version or not (I know they have NT/Intel and NT/DEC-Alpha), but you may want to check out webfiler (http://www.webfiler.com) - this is very easy to use middleware. It is a browser-based database for the web (imagine Access running over a browser and you've got the gist of it). For the kind of usage you describe it can come in very handy, because security is built in (e.g, certain users can be given the right to add, modify or delete records, other users can be given only the right to view records).

Basically, you can connect to any ODBC data source and get a grid view, form view, query view, etc. without any programming. You can customize the working system with FrontPage or whatever HTML editor you use. And you can then integrate your customized version of the system into your site. It is pretty painless.

Dave Received on Fri Nov 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message