Q: Name Server, Q: AIX AIO parameters

From: John Kanagaraj <johnk_at_brunet.bn>
Date: 1997/10/30

Q 1: Name Server We are a medium-sized organization with UNIX (mostly AIX 4, but also HP-UX 9 and Solaris 2.4+) based Servers and about 2000+ PC clients (combination of Win 3.1/Novell LanWorkPlace moving to NTW 4.0) as well as other UNIX clients. We use most versions of Oracle7 (7.0.15/7.1.4/7.1.6/7.2.3/7.3.2) and SQL*Net V2(2.0/2.1/2.3) and host about 45 different instances across these UNIX platforms over a switched TCP/IP network segmented by a few routers. We plan to move from SQL*Net aliasing using TNSNAMES.ORA to Oracle Name Server on an Oracle 7.3.2 Database. A test server has already been setup and is working well. However, before making a large scale move, we would like to know whether anyone else has had extensive experience with Name Server in such an environment and will be kind enough to share their positive and negative experiences with us. In particular, we are looking at incompatibilities between Oracle/SQL*Net versions, rollout and other problems, etc.

Q 2: AIX AIO parameters Has anyone also had AIX 4 performance problems due to insufficient number of "AIO" (Asynchronous I/O) servers in AIX 4/3.2? What are the guidelines for setting the min/max values on an Oracle database server ? (this affects the AIX 'kproc' processes which handle asyncronous read/writes on multiple disks).

Please post as well as e-mail to the address above.

Thanks in advance!

John Kanagaraj