Re: [Reposted due to Enlow UCE cancel]: oracle sql*loader with a long field

From: Michael Krolewski <mkrolews_at_upw.com>
Date: 1997/10/22

mani.allu_at_mci.com wrote:

> Hi Guys!
>
> I am trying to load a 'long field from a .dat file using sql*loader.
> Some of the records are getting rejected due to error
> "Field in data file exceeded maximum specified length".
>
> When I specify the field in the control file as CHAR, I am not getting
> any errors but no data is getting loaded.
>
> can anybody help me in this!
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Mani

You might want to check to it really is the record length. Modify the file to have only a few (1-5 records) and reduce the length of the field.

You should post a sample file and the control file and the log file. For instance, the field may be the last field in the row and there is no terminator for the field or there is a field terminator near or at the front.

Watch out for the field position reference position(1) is a single character
at the front of the line.

Also confirm that no rows are really loading eg select count(*) from tableX;

Also confirm the field is really null eg select '>' || fieldA || '<' from tableX
The log file should indicate the number of rows loaded and ones rejected.

Mike Krolewski Received on Wed Oct 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message