Re: sqlnet over Internet

From: Duncan Reed <der1004_at_cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: 1997/10/16

S S Wan (sswan_at_hk.super.net) wrote:
: I once asked Oracle support this question and they replied that
: it's impossible across Firewall. They reason is that the listener
: though listens a well known port (1521?), the server process
: so forked listens on some random port number. It is hard to restrict
: traffic by random port number and allowing only 1521 simply doesn't
: work!

: If anyone has implemented such solution across firewall, please kindly
: share your experience with us.

: Nandan Kalle wrote in article <01bccddc$bd756d60$67121a26_at_budinacan>...

: >Has anyone tried running a SQL*Net session over the Internet? I.e.:
: >client workstation w/ SQL*Net Client dials-up to Internet
: >server w/ Oracle7 and SQL*Net Server is an Internet node (with a fixed IP
: >address)
: >
: >In theory this should be possible. Has anyone tried this? How well does
: >it work?
: >
: >Thanks.

We have just got a new version of Digital Firewall for UNIX (version 3 I believe). It claims to support SQLNet connections. I plan to have a play once its been installed.

Duncan

Database Administrator | Admin Computing Unit | University of Cambridge
Duncan Reed 	       |   ** Team AMIGA **   |   der1004_at_cus.cam.ac.uk