Shutdown database from Novell client 4 backup

From: <Richard_Popovich_at_Whittman-Hart.com>
Date: 1997/10/06

I am trying to schedule nightly backups on a NOVELL 4.11 Server running an Oracle 7.3.2.3 Database. I want to exectue the process remotely from a client machine using a batch process(ex. shutdb.BAT) which logs onto Server Manager, connects internal and shutdown the database to allow for a cold backup. I have done this many times on Unix machines.

I can connect from client to the Novell server fine; however, when I try to shutdown the database I get an "Insufficient Privileges" error. The error is becuase of the client user privilege that it is logging onto the Server does not have high enough system privileges.

On Unix Boxes, you need to add an 'su - oracle' to the crontab file, when you want to schedule shutdown/startup through the scheduler. How do you add an "RCONSOLE" to my shutdb.BAT file to logon REMOTELY to the NOVELL SERVER? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich