Re: SQL Server vs Oracle

From: Abu M Rahman <arahman_at_nko.com>
Date: 1997/09/22

Sir, MS Sql Server is truly a departmental solution, Oracle on the other hand, is a TRUE enterprise solution...... now it depends what volumn of data you are talking about.....I work both with Oracle and Sql Server.... believe me I loath Sql-Server.... it just does not compare with Oracle

gmanok_at_worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Our company is currently migrating from Mumps to Oracle databases for
> our online transaction processing systems. We developed our first
> product with Oracle 7.3.2 and all systems run on Solaris version 2.3 to
> 2.5.
>
> Our monitoring system will be client-server based. Each production
> system (7 systems) will write system parameters to shared memory. The
> client(s) will poll each production server every 30 seconds and write
> the data to a database. The production systems are up approximately 16
> hours per day 6 days per week. Each record will be under 1K and we
> would like to keep 3 months of data. The client(s) will be a NT box(es)
> to keep hardware costs lower than those of another Sun box. We own
> licenses for Oracle and SQL-server.
>
> Barring licensing costs, what are the pros and cons of using SQL-Server
> over Oracle and vice versa.
>
> Thanks in advance, Steve gmanok_at_worldnet.att.net

Abu M Rahman                     | PHONE: (904) 737-3181 ext. 237
Database Administrator           | FAX  : (904) 739-1984
NKO, Inc.                        | Email: arahman_at_nko.com