Re: SQL Server vs Oracle

From: Gary England <gengland_at_hiwaay.net>
Date: 1997/09/21

gmanok_at_worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Our company is currently migrating from Mumps to Oracle databases for
> our online transaction processing systems. We developed our first
> product with Oracle 7.3.2 and all systems run on Solaris version 2.3 to
> 2.5.
>
> We are going to develop a Downtime Monitoring system which shall notify
> engineers of system unavailabilty and allow us to retrieve and record
> system availability parameters and quantify system availibility through
> reports.
>
> Our monitoring system will be client-server based. Each production
> system (7 systems) will write system parameters to shared memory. The
> client(s) will poll each production server every 30 seconds and write
> the data to a database. The production systems are up approximately 16
> hours per day 6 days per week. Each record will be under 1K and we
> would like to keep 3 months of data. The client(s) will be a NT box(es)
> to keep hardware costs lower than those of another Sun box. We own
> licenses for Oracle and SQL-server.
>
> Barring licensing costs, what are the pros and cons of using SQL-Server
> over Oracle and vice versa.
>
> Thanks in advance, Steve gmanok_at_worldnet.att.net

All other bias aside, Oracle is a fully mature product. It has been out there much longer than SQL Server keeping all kinds of critical operations operating.

In those rare cases where things go wrong I have experience a much more knowledgable and professional response from Oracle than from Microsoft.

Having used Oracle for 12 years and SQL Server only since just before 6.5 was released I am biased toward Oracle. Especially with the stability problems I encounted with SQL Server in a large TCP/IP application.

If you have both, test both. But use at least 5 ACTIVE client modules doing TRANSACTION updates before choosing. Make sure the COMMIT and ROLLBACK operations are functional.

Good luck,
Gary England Received on Sun Sep 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message