Re: Need Help in getting DOS SQL*Net to work -- Willing to PAY!

From: Dean Dashwood <dd_at_langley.softwright.co.uk>
Date: 1997/09/12

Hi Steve!

Not much information here, but here's two possible starting points:

  1. Have you got Sql*Net Server configured properly? If you can access your database from a client using TCP/IP from any other platform, Sql*Net is configured ok. Otherwise, check the following. (My server is running on HP-UX - I hope the file names, etc. are similar enough that you can find the files I'm refering to!): a) Make sure $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora on your server contains details of your database b) Make sure the listener is started. On HP-UX, do this by logging on to Unix as the Oracle user, and typing

lsnrctl start

2) Have you got Sql*Net Client configured? Check the file $ORACLE_HOME\network\admin\tnsnames.ora - it should contain details of the database's TCP/IP address and SID.

Hope that helps - I found that configuring Sql*Net was the most difficult part of setting up a database, but once you actually understand what's going on, it's not all that hard!