Re: Oracle & Progress

From: Geoff Crawford <geoff_at_innov8cs.com>
Date: 1997/09/11

In article <873881974.29588_at_dejanews.com>, alan.scott.octavian_at_mktmail.com says...

>I have seen several postings with regard to accessing data in an Oracle
>DB with Progress tools using the Oracle Gateway.
>
>I am interested in going the other way i.e. accessing Progress data
 (and
>possibly code) via our Oracle tools.
>
>Does anyone have any experience of this (good or bad)?

No specific experience using Oracle D/D2000 over Progress, just with D/D2000 itself. We looked at doing a project and quickly abonded it due to the weakness of the tools. Since you have Progress, and want a different tool, I could understand wanting Delphi, or maybe PB, and VB on the outside. But Oracle tools I can't phathom.

>I have some experience of ODBC (Oracle to MS Access and vice versa). I
>was not impressed and would only look at this as a last resort.

D/D2000 is particularly week in the database connectivity arena. You had better get used to ODBC because it's the only resort you've got in this case.

If you do work with it, please let me know. D/D2000 is not listed in my Progress ODBC FAQ because no one has ever reported using it with Progress ODBC. Received on Thu Sep 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message