Re: Looking for ODBC driver

From: Shannon W. miles <shanm2_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/08/01

magrasjc_at_texas.net wrote:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> This article may be sligltly off in its aim but ...
> I am looking for a freeware ODBC driver for UNIX. DejaNews and
> alta-vista have been little help. Any documents and web pages
> pointers appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> J.C. Magras
> --
> Unix Software Engineer looking for C++/UNIX/Motif/Perl/Tk/Flex
> Software Engineering position **NOW**. Currently in Austin at
> (512) 672-5778/magrasjc_at_texas.net. have Answering machine.

   By the way, ODBC is used for Windows platforms. Most people would simply open an ISQL session when in UNIX and type away. Another point is that there is a lot of coding involved in writing one of these drivers and a free one may be a longshot. I believe that sybase charges about $500 for theirs. And don't even think of running it without the client libraries, it won't work. Finally, an option is to purchase the NT version of Sybase SQL server. If you do it as an upgrade from MS-Access it is $200 and the ODBC drivers are included as well as some of the cool admin tools for Windows. Received on Fri Aug 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message