Re: HAnging ORACLE database

From: Vikas Gautam <gautam_at_sequent.com>
Date: 1997/07/02

Ari,

        Thanks for the response. Well, we were NOT running this in ARCHIVELOG mode as this is a DSS (lots of loading happening every night.). Also, ORACLE asked us to start the database in ARCHIVELOG mode but the problem of hanging remains. Space, etc. issues that you mention for the problem are not the causes as I checked the things you mention.

Thanks
Vikas

Ari Kaplan wrote:

> Vikas,
>
> It sounds like you are having problems archiving redo logs. I have
> experienced similar symptoms in the distant past when there is no more
> room in the archive destination. Any number of things could cause this:
>
> 1) The log_archive_dest is not a valid directory
> 2) The log_archive_dest is not owner by "oracle" or does not have correct
> permissions
> 3) Someone other than "oracle" starts the database
> 4) There is no more room on the device that contains the log_archive_dest
> 5) The log_archive_format parameter is not set properly
>
> -Ari Kaplan
> Independent Oracle DBA Consultant

Vikas Gautam,
Consultant,
Sequent Computer Systems,
Ph: 847-318-0050
Fax : 847-384-5222
email : gautam_at_sequent.com Received on Wed Jul 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message