Re: Cascade Update

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/06/30

The packages are at http://govt.us.oracle.com/, follow the link to downloadable utilities.

The update cascade packages were written for a customer that was migrating from MS access and needed update cascade capabilities.... We tested it against their 500+ table schema with lots and lots of update cascades. Works pretty well.

The web page outlines how it does it and what limitations it has.

On 29 Jun 1997 21:56:59 GMT, "Miles Thomas" <thomasm_at_"at".logica."dot".com> wrote:

>BNFL BNFL <ap05_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in article
><33B0E825.5BEF_at_dial.pipex.com>...
>> We're converting several Microsoft Access databases to work with Oracle
>> V7.3 tables. We are keeping the Access forms etc and using ODBC to
>> connect to the Oracle tables. MS Access referential integrity provides
>> cascade update and cascade delete, but Oracle only provides cascade
>> delete.
>>
>> How can we apply cascade update to the referential integrity on the
>> Oracle tables?
>>
>> Bryn Charlton
>> British Nuclear Fuels plc
>>
>you can simulate it through the use of triggers and pl/sql packages.
>Oracle Govt web site (www.govt.oracle.com?) has examples of how to do
>this--look for cascade.tar.
>
>I cant say that I have ever used it. Whenever I needed a cascade delete, I
>wrote a package to do exactrly what I wanted.
>--
>Miles Thomas
>Logica UK Ltd
>thomasm "at" logica "dot" com
>The above are personal opinions, and are
>not necessarily the opinions of my employer.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Jun 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message