Re: RAID: 0, 3, or 5?

From: Barry Roomberg <broomberg_at_ccgroupnet.com>
Date: 1997/06/29

>: Would anyone care to make any recommendations? What about RAID 0 for the
>: redo logs, and control files? I could mirror them using Oracle, correct?
>: But what about rollback and data? Level 0 is no good for that, right? I
>: hear awful things about level 3 and level 5 has crappy write performance.

You really should test you system''s DD throughput before writing off level 3 or level 5. Depending on your controller, it could be just fine. I currently use external DAC960s controller on a stack of 9 GB disks going raid 5, and it gives me much better performance than straight disk i/o. When I tested MegaDrive raid 3 (targetted to the video server market) I got great single task read performace but it dropped off the cliff as I added tasks, becuase raid 3 read all disks at once, as opposed to round-robin.

What DD read performance do you get in MB/per/sec? DD write performance?
Now what do you intend to do under Oracle - Read/intensive or write/intensive or even mix?
How many active taks at a time? Received on Sun Jun 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message