Re: FoxPro 2.5 data into Oracle?

From: Richard Katz <rdka0_at_juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: 1997/06/12

Miles Thomas wrote:

> Wyatt Underwood <underwd_at_ibm.net> wrote in article
> <339d424d.0_at_news1.ibm.net>...
> > Someone else answered
> > >
> > > Has anyone had any experience with moving FoxPro 2.5 Windows data into

> > > Oracle? If you have, can you point me towards any tools or techniques

> > > used? Maybe there are UNIX utilities to extract the data out of the
> > > Fox .dbf files into Oracle?
> > >
> > that you might copy your *.dbf files to a comma-delimited text file
 (FoxPro
> > calls it type SDF) and then use SQL*blat to bring the data into an Oracle

> > table. Today I confirmed with my DBA that he had done exactly that.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> >
> > Wyatt Underwood
> > wyatt.underwood_at_ibm.net
> > ai644_at_lafn.org
> > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/2639
> >
> ISTR that SQL*Loader will load files that are formatted as dbaseIII (and it
> requires less configuration to do so), so saving your FoxPro files as dbase
> 3 format would probably be better.
> It can't do dbaseIV, however.
>
> Or you can do the load programmatically using Access or VB with ODBC.
> Oracle ODBC is not especially easy to set up, but it does allow you to
> process the data while you are migrating it, which you often have to do
> after loading it with SQL*Loader anyway, unless your table structures are
> exactly the same.
>
> --
> Miles Thomas
> Logica UK Ltd
> thomasm "at" logica "dot" com
> The above are personal opinions, and are
> not necessarily the opinions of my employer.

John,

Most versions of Foxpro can load data directly using an ODBC interface. I think the earliest version is Foxpro 2.6/Win that has ODBC.

For all versions of Visual Foxpro, ODBC is integral to the product. VFP allows you to design multiple views and manage connectivity with Oracle or other remote (or local) data sources, as well as SQL pass-through (VB style).

For large amounts of data, the utility load program will probably run a lot faster. Use ODBC for cases where you have periodic connectivity requirements.

Richard Katz Received on Thu Jun 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message