Re: Using ERWin's "sync" feature to modify a database

From: Don Kossman <DKossman_at_sei-it.com>
Date: 1997/06/11

Jonathan Gennick wrote:
> Do others out here use Erwin to maintain a data model? Do
> you trust Erwin to also maintain the physical database? Is
> there a way to review the changes Erwin is proposing to
> make? Are there any reasons why I would NOT want to just let
> Erwin sync the database and model. Are there any reasons why
> I SHOULD want to?

if you blindly re-sync the physical database:

  1. If your tables contain data, it will be lost following the re-sync (unless there is a new version of Erwin which deals with this?!)
  2. existing applications will sometimes break.

i believe that LogicWork's "Modelmart" extension to Erwin moves the Erwin repository into an RDBMS, primarily to allow concurrent access by multiple users, but also provides versioning facilities to allow you to "diff" the changes made to the model, for example before you resync. this will help you understand the impact of changes to the model before you re-forward engineer. Received on Wed Jun 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message