Using ERWin's "sync" feature to modify a database

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/06/10

I am interested in discussing the use of Erwin's sync feature for updating metadata. I am taking over as DBA for my site. We have two databases, each with numerous schemas, being used for development. Past practice has been that the system analysts develop a data model using Erwin and periodically sync that model with the Oracle database. I'm troubled by the lack of control this gives me. The analysts at any time could make database modifications, they might not even be aware of all the modifications which erwin was making, and I might not be aware that anything was changed until long after the fact.

Do others out here use Erwin to maintain a data model? Do you trust Erwin to also maintain the physical database? Is there a way to review the changes Erwin is proposing to make? Are there any reasons why I would NOT want to just let Erwin sync the database and model. Are there any reasons why I SHOULD want to?

Jonathan

Jonathan Gennick
gennick_at_worldnet.att.net
"Brighten the Corner Where you Are" Received on Tue Jun 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message