Re: Processing Text larger than 2000 characters

From: Eduard A. Godlevsky <ouvd_at_tetragr.zaporizhzhe.ua>
Date: 1997/06/07

Greg Cobb <gpbcobb_at_btinternet.com> ÚÁÐÉÓÁÎÏ × ÓÔÁÔØÀ <01bc6eb7$226d7300$c83563c3_at_dns.btinternet.com>...
> I would like to be able to read a text file using the TEXT_IO package in
> Forms 4.5. However, each line of the file could be larger than 2000
> characters, currently the maximum allowed for VARCHAR2 datatypes. Some
> lines could potentially be approximately 3500 characters. I want to be
> able to read each line and process it in turn, parsing it into separate
> fields using the SUBSTR function. However, I cannot use the LONG
 datatype
> since this would not allow me to use any such character functions. The
> TEXT_IO package has no function other than GET_LINE, so I cannot even
 read
> in a portion of the line at a time.
>
> Please email direct at:
>
> gpbcobb_at_btinternet.com
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gregory P.B. Cobb

The best remedy is to create your own "user-exit" in PRO# language. It will allow you to process
with VARCHAR2(2000) and LONG datatypes using functions on #language.

--
Eduard A. Godlevsky
ouvd_at_tetragr.zaporizhzhe.ua