Re: Questions about 'connect' and performance?

From: Roger Snowden <rsnowden_at_IHateSpam.com>
Date: 1997/06/06

> 2. If there is a performance hit associated with a connect does it
> make a difference
> whether it is in a multi threaded or dedicated server environment?
> 3. If there is a performance hit due to numerous connects can you
> make some architectural suggestion(s) as to how we might get relief
> from this particular type of system stress?

MTS will enable fast connects. The processes are all started. The new session is assigned by the listener to a dispatcher, which is a lightweight process. It, in turn, routes individual SQL requests to one of several shared server processes on the fly. Load balancing is automatic.

MTS tuning requires a bit of special exercise, but is doable. Oracle has some FAX literature on the subject.

Roger Snowden Received on Fri Jun 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message