Re: Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

From: Gaja K. Vaidyanatha <gvaidyan_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/06/04

Chris Ruemmler wrote:

...stuff deleted...

> This is not exactly true. HP-UX 10.20 supports > 2GB files and > 2GB
> filesystems even though it is only a 32-bit OS. Applications need to
> be modified to take advantage of the > 2GB file feature. There is no
> reason Oracle could not do this, you just have to ask them if they have.
>
> --Chris
Chris et. al,

        I don't think I brought across the point that I wanted to in my previous note. All I wanted to communicate is that if you run a 32 bit OS, 2G is all you get just because you have only 2^32 bits for addressing. If you run a 32/64 bit OS or a pure 64 bit OS, then the potential addressability is 2^64. I am fully aware of OSs(HP-UX included) do support 4G if not 8G files in a filesystem today, but it depends on the version of the OS and the vendor. Nothing against HP-UX 10.20. Sorry for any confusion this might have caused.

Regards,

--
Gaja K. Vaidyanatha		       	|	222 West Las Colinas Blvd.,
Principal Instructor, Core Technologies |	Suite 1000, Irving, TX 75039.