Re: Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

From: Gaja K. Vaidyanatha <gvaidyan_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/06/03

lous_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Quick question: Maximum filesize that can be created in Oracle 7.3 running
> on HP-UX 10.20 ? When trying to go bigger than 2 G we get a Message
> refering to using osh. (Which of course is not available in 7.3). It is
> possible to create a native file > 2G via the OS. Any ideas?
>
> Cheers
> Lou

Lou,

        The problem is not with 7.3. The 2G limitation for a datafile is posed by the OS that you work with( in this case with HP-UX 10.20). If you work with a 32 bit OS(which I believe you are), the maximum amount of addressability that the OS can offer is 2G. So the datafile limitation comes from there. If you work with a 64 bit OS, the largest addressable file is I believe in the order of a few TB(8 TB if my memory serves me right)

        If you do work with a 32 bit OS and want a datafile larger than 2G you will have to either use raw devices or use logical volume managers to get the "effect of a larger file".

Hope this helps,

--
Gaja K. Vaidyanatha		       	|	222 West Las Colinas Blvd.,
Principal Instructor, Core Technologies |	Suite 1000, Irving, TX 75039.