Re: Microsoft to announce buyout of Informix

From: John McVicker <mcvicker_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: 1997/05/21

Tom Wilson wrote:

> I think a more likely target for Microsoft would be Sybase. After all,
> MS SQL Server is rooted in the Sybase kernel and their API interface is
> still Sybase's DBLib. And while Sybase stock isn't stinking it up like
> Informix, they definitely have their problems.

Remember, Informix is only stinking it up for the last quarter - they do not have a trend in stinking it up.

You may want to look into the Sybase position documents held on the SEC's EDGAR database. http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/srch-edgar?0000768262 The real truth is in the numbers, not rumors or speculation.

Also, Sybase has recently had at least one Stock analyst say Sybase has a
very bright future with a stock target price of $30 / 12 months. That's only their speculation (as all stock picking is speculation). However, with
three profitable quarters since what people perceive as the "problem period" and with a whole lot of useful and interesting products coming out now from Sybase, things look very good. I'm very glad to be working for the company. Remember, the problem period was really only due to excess expenses in promoting SQL Server 11 early on - ahead of the sales of the product - rather than having marketing and sales spend based on actual sales. That would hurt any company and it's been fixed at Sybase. Unbridled expenses can hurt anyone.

I just want to say that Sybase is not in the position that some perceive it was. It takes a while to remove any perceived problems a company may have gone through in past quarters. However, Sybase is positioned to regain
the 2nd spot over Informix (if not already this month) this quarter. Also,
we continue to take top honors in TPC-C benchmarks and run very large and very busy application environments at some very large, well known companies worldwide.

Lastly, with Microsoft pushing their "Enterprise Solutions" - and with demos such as their Terra DB (one terrabyte database) they don't seem to even *want* to do something expensive like buy a database company. They, as always, want to do it completely independent of the rest of the industry. Received on Wed May 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message