Re: Microsoft to announce buyout of Informix

From: Tom Wilson <tdwilson_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/05/20

James McGovern wrote:

> When your look at INFORMIX over the last five or so years, think of all
> the products that have been brought to market by INFORMIX.... Now think
> of how much the market has taken up the offering's.... How much
> resources do you think it takes to bring a product to market ? How long
> do you think it takes to return an overall profit on the product ? .....
> I'm guessing they have lost heaps of doe ray me over the last few years
> because of diversification.
>
> One thing is certain, When money in the door slows down and money out
> the door speeds up your asking for a takeover and I can't think of any
> other company that has the proven record in software development like
> Microsoft. When you think Captain Billy boy has taken the idea of
> creating a dos for dummies environment and ran with it and now look at
> the giant he has made. I can't wait to see what will happen with
> INFORMIX and thank god we all have the opportunity to be there at the
> start.

I think a more likely target for Microsoft would be Sybase. After all, MS SQL Server is rooted in the Sybase kernel and their API interface is still Sybase's DBLib. And while Sybase stock isn't stinking it up like Informix, they definitely have their problems. Received on Tue May 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message