Re: JDBC and oracle

From: gruenhagen <_at_ciam.erlm.siemens.de>
Date: 1997/05/12

Andrew C. Risehnoover wrote:

> I am trying to develop a webased application that will connect to an
> oracle database and make calls to some stored procedures. I got the
> JDBC drivers from oracle, but in the documentation it said these could
> only be used with stand alone applications and would not work from
> within and applet. The databases will be internal in the beginning, but
> possibly external in the long run. I did not want to resort to straight
> ODBC calls because of speed. The application has been written in
> OraPerl, and I was hoping I could get a chance to re release it in Java.
>
> How would I connect to a database from within the applet?
>
> Is contact with external databases going to conflict with Java internal
> security procedures?
>
> All suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> If you would forward any replys to my email as well as the news group,
> I'd appreciate it.
>
> Chris Risenhoover
> qball_at_ti.com
Hello Chris,
from an standalone Java program database access via JDBC from Oracle worked very well, but from an applet it did not work. I then mailed thisto Oracle and got thefollowing answer:

Andreas,

        The problem is security restriction in Netscape Navigator. Actually, it's not a problem, but a feature. The Oracle JDBC/OCI driver is half-Java, and half-native (the OCI part). Applets are not allowed to invoke native methods in the Navigator 'sandbox'. (a standard Java vs. ActiveX issue)

        For now, the driver is suited for standalone applications or server-side apps. However, when signed applets become available in Navigator 4.0 (Communicator), you should be able to use the JDBC/OCI driver from an applet. Also, when it becomes available, you can use the Oracle 'thin' JDBC driver, which is written 100% in Java. This driver will not have any native method-related applet restrictions. Tentative schedule for alpha release is early June.

Regards, Received on Mon May 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message