Re: JDBC and oracle

From: Cpraber <cpraber_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/05/06

In article <336E5D83.AC17292C_at_ti.com>, "Andrew C. Risehnoover" <qball_at_ti.com> writes:

>Subject: JDBC and oracle
>From: "Andrew C. Risehnoover" <qball_at_ti.com>
>Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 17:21:55 -0500
>
>I am trying to develop a webased application that will connect to an
>oracle database and make calls to some stored procedures. I got the
>JDBC drivers from oracle, but in the documentation it said these could
>only be used with stand alone applications and would not work from
>within and applet. The databases will be internal in the beginning, but
>possibly external in the long run. I did not want to resort to straight
>ODBC calls because of speed. The application has been written in
>OraPerl, and I was hoping I could get a chance to re release it in Java.
>
>How would I connect to a database from within the applet?
>
>Is contact with external databases going to conflict with Java internal
>security procedures?
>
>All suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>If you would forward any replys to my email as well as the news group,
>I'd appreciate it.
>
>Chris Risenhoover
>qball_at_ti.com

Connect to Oracle on the server from a Java application. Connect to the Java application from client applets via RMI, CORBA ...

GemStone's distributed Java Beans would make this real easy ;-).

Regards,

-Chris.

Chris Raber, Systems Engineer, GemStone Systems Inc. 100 West Big Beaver, Suite 200
Troy, MI 48084
phone: (810)-680-6691, fax: (810)-680-6689, email: craber_at_gemstone.com web: http://www.gemstone.com/