Re: JDBC and oracle

From: Philip Mason <mason_at_mcs.net>
Date: 1997/05/06

 Jon Conradt wrote in article <01bc5a2d$d6d62d80$02c0f7c6_at_jonc>...
>Andrew C. Risehnoover <qball_at_ti.com> wrote in article
><336E5D83.AC17292C_at_ti.com>...
>> I am trying to develop a webased application that will connect to an
>> oracle database and make calls to some stored procedures. I got the
>> JDBC drivers from oracle, but in the documentation it said these could
>> only be used with stand alone applications and would not work from
>> within and applet. The databases will be internal in the beginning,
 but
>> possibly external in the long run. I did not want to resort to
 straight
>> ODBC calls because of speed. The application has been written in
>> OraPerl, and I was hoping I could get a chance to re release it in
 Java.

>Because you are talking to an Oracle database you could take advantage of
>the Oracle WebServer 3.0 api for Java and move the logic to the server,
>leaving the applet to maintain the UI. This is how Oracle does their
>Developer/2000 port to Java.

If you use the java applet that developer/2000 makes it doesn't use port 80, it opens up a socket connection. It only downloads the applet via port 80. In turn this means that it will not go though firewalls very well.

>Because you can then talk to the CGI(WRB) process via port 80 using
>standard HTTP you do not have to worry about firewalls. This has the
 added
>benefit of putting you in a three-tier architecture where you are free to
>change the database (say to Oracle 8 or SQL Server) or the program logic
>without having to change the applet.
>
>> How would I connect to a database from within the applet?
>>

>From within an applet you can connect to a database using JDBC if the
>applet was loaded from a webserver on the same machine as the database.
>This would require a Type 4 driver which is available from
>http://www.weblogic.com among others for Oracle. Oracle says they will
>release their thin client JDBC driver for 1.1.x around the same time as
>Oracle 8's release (June 24th). For more information on Type 4 and other
>JDBC drivers you should visit the Javasoft web site.
>
>> Is contact with external databases going to conflict with Java internal
>> security procedures?
>
>An applet should be allowed to talk to a database as long as the applet
>came from that same machine. With signed applets around the corner you
>will be able to losen this restriction.
>
>Jon

What I've done is created my own three tier system. With a java client and a java application server that then connects to Oracle via JDBC. I've used ODBC, Weblogic's, and Oracle has a beta JDBC driver all seem to work well.

Good luck,
Phil Received on Tue May 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message