Re: Access97 on Oracle7.3x (Using sql server odbc driver for connection)

From: Michael Krolewski <mkrolews_at_upw.com>
Date: 1997/05/03

Jae_Ellison wrote:

> I am trying to use Access 97 on Oracle7.3x
> database on hpux. Can you use ODBC MS SQL server
> to connect to Oracle7.3x database?
> I have ODBC SQL Server version 2.65.0213. Do I
> have correct/latest version of ODBC SQL Server?
> Do I need to get new ODBC SQL Server?
>
> What is the best way to PC client (MS Access97) to
> connect to Oracle 7.3x database on a hpux server?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Jae_ellison_at_hp.com

You need to get the latest ODBC Driver from Oracle. It is a 32-bit driver. The original 32bit version shipped with Oracle NT/windows95 server were not functional. Obviously this is running on the PC. And you must be running SQL*Net on the client.

It is in the www.oracle.com under one of the topics. I believe it is the free software.

Get the appropriate version -- based on version of SQL*Net that you are running. The Class 2 ODBC driver is needed for the JAVA support -- but not needed for "standard" access of the Oracle database to Access97.

I installed the software and it worked correctly the first time. If you have other (old) ODBC drivers, make sure they have been removed.

Mike Krolewski mkrolews_at_upw.com Received on Sat May 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message