"Thou shalt use 'Shutdown Abort' whenever you shutdown the database." Makes sense?

From: <paul.amaral_at_fmr.com>
Date: 1997/05/02

HELP: I have a question for the Oracle and Imaging gurus.

While auditing the FileNet (imaging application) installation at our site, I noticed a script that is quite disturbing. (shutdown.sql under /fnsw/local/oracle)

In this script I noticed a "shutdown abort" EVERY TIME the instance is shutdown. (also just before a backup is performed)

I escalated this matter to FileNet, and they said that a "shutdown abort does not impose any danger to the Oracle instance or to the backups".

As a DBA, I learned from Oracle that "shutdown abort" is a NO-NO except as a last resort. Did anything change since I last took my first and last DBA courses (about 8 years ago and about three years ago)?

Every bit of information I receive will be very beneficial in our negotiations with FileNet to change their script. Also, if you need further details, please drop me a line.

Thanks a lot.

Paul.