Cool it, chaps (and note follow-ups)

From: Phil Edwards <news-uk_at_dircon.co.uk.nojunk>
Date: 1997/04/29

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997 21:33:53 -0400, Tim Schaefer <tschaefe_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

< to Steve Phelan >

>The biggest point of all is that you posted a really stupid reply to
>a really stupid post which you could have done off-line, and spared
>us all of it. However, since you DID post to this group, I wanted
>to know what you were talking about.

< re: Referendum Party is an 'Arsehole Party' >

>It's quite obvious you are
>from the U.K., and are using your local slang. I just wanted
>clarification.

Is this some sort of troll? Tim, if you really don't know what the word 'arsehole' denotes and connotes in British usage I suggest you mentally blank out letters 2-4 and then see if your own vocabulary supplies anything similar. As for Steve's heinous offence, I thought a public spanking for the Referendum Party spammer was quite in order (wouldn't have used quite those terms myself, but there you go); likewise taking subsequent discussion offline. Can't see your problem, in short - your language also strikes me as distinctly uncool.

If anyone on this panoply of comp. groups really wants to know about the Referendum Party, they're a party created by a multi-millionaire who lives in Mexico, standing in this Thursday's general election on the single issue of a referendum on British withdrawal from the European Union. None of their candidates will get elected, although some of them will take votes away from the (currently ruling) Conservatives. It won't make any difference to the result, except to strengthen the anti-EU faction in the Conservatives (the only major party in an EU member state to have a significant anti-EU faction, if I'm not very much mistaken). But I'm miles off-charter and getting more so by the minute, so I'll shut up. Note follow-ups.

--
Phil Edwards                    phil_at_news400.com
Editor, NEWS/400.uk             +44 (0)161 929 0777