Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Brenda Muller <muller.brenda_at_primestar.tci.com>
Date: 1997/04/29

In article <3365b1d6.5518755_at_gate.idg.no>,   Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no wrote:

> Brenda Muller <muller.brenda_at_primestar.tci.com> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
> It seems like you ought to study the Informix literature at least.

I'd like very much to read the Informix literature, and I thank you for providing these links. However, I don't think I have made any statements at all regarding how Informix XPS works, and therefore don't feel that I have spoken out of turn without having read the Informix literature. My comments are coming from a more theoretical approach regarding how a DBMS would have to deal with situations in an MPP environment. I do not attempt to judge Informix's product because I don't know it well enough to do so. I judge MPP in general, and speculate on how a DBMS would deal with particularly difficult technical challenges that it would have to face in an MPP environment.

> The
> Informix XPS server looks like a quite different animal to me than the
> Oracle parallell server. There sure are administrative problems that
> must be solved, but the design of XPS seems to make this simpler than
> other alternatives. As to performance one can discuss to death all
> kinds of server implementation issues. The XPS seems to have many
> advantages here. However the final answer is of course how your
> application reponds. For an indication you might want to look at
> http://www.informix.com/informix/corpinfo/ifxnews/press/1997/tpc-dhp.htm
>
> For some more information on XPS you may start at
> http://www.informix.com/informix/products/techbrfs/servconn/21384/21384.htm
>
> I have no experience with these products, just thought the information
> might be interesting.
>
> Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no
> NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway
> My opinions are those of my company
> The Informix FAQ is at http://www.iiug.org

Brenda