Re: Oracle Objects for OLE 2.0 or 2.1

From: Tom Gerahty <tg19905_at_glaxowellcome.com>
Date: 1997/04/28

Bjørn Storø wrote:

> Hello
> I've done some testing on the speed of using OO4O Dynasets versus MS
> Dynasets from VB connected to an Oracle 7.1 database. I found that for
> large dynasets (10000+ records) MS dynasets are much faster than OO4O
> dynasets.
> To me it seems that OO4O is not yet mature enough to use with a 4GL
> programming environment. Lets face it, Oracle is not a very big fan of
> Microsoft and the Windows operating system, so I wonder just how much
> effort they really put into making this OO4O thing..?
>
> Bjørn
>
> cda.apa_at_email.apa.org skrev i artikkelen <861040067.2424_at_dejanews.com>...
> > I downloaded Oracle Objects for OLE 2.0 from Oracle and the readme.wri
> > file stated that the .OCX is not available for Visual Basic 4. The .VBX
> > works only with Visual Basic 3.
> >
> > I am interested in using the latest version of Oracle Objects with VB4
> > Professional Edition so that we can use Data Access Objects (DAO) to
> > connect directly to the Oracle database without using Oracle Glue, which
> > we are currently using,or without using ODBC drivers that are slow
 because
> > of the connection to the Jet Engine 2.5.
> >
> > I understand that Oracle has a newer version of Oracle Objects
> > possibly (2.1) which is now release that includes the .OCX control for
> > VB4.
> >
> > Can we use the Oracle Objects without using the Data Control like the
 Data
> > Access Objects (DAO) in VB4. Must we have the .OCX data control before
 we
> > can do anything.
> >
> > I would appreciate any assistance on working with VB4 and Oracle Objects
> > 2.0 or 2.1.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> > Deetra A. Whatley
> > x5851

> > http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet

Wow, we have found the opposite to be true. We had some slow performance with OO4O until we learned how to tune it. Since then it has been much faster and we work with million row plus dynasets.

Tom Gerahty
Glaxo Wellcome Received on Mon Apr 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message