Re: Couple of questions about Forms 4.5

From: Alex Heney <heneya_at_entcf3.agw.co.bt.uk>
Date: 1997/04/22

Alan Campbell wrote:

> I would like to be able to display a date in a different format from the date
> that is entered in a field.
> E.g.
> I have a date field that I would like to display in dd-mmm-yy format, but the
> users would like to type in the date in ddmmyy format for speed. Is this
> possible ?

No. The only possible way is to have the screen field defined as Character, then manually check the format in code. This is not fun.

> Also how can I jump to another field after the validation on fails on a field.
> E.g.

This cannot be done directly from the WHEN-VALIDATE trigger, as navigation is restricted built-ins. One way of doing this is to use timers. You set up a timer when the validtaion is failed, to execute after 1 millisecond, no repeat. In the timer code, you can do a GO_ITEM, or anything else you want (but remember to set some sort of flag to stop the WHEN-VALIDATE failing again when the Go_Item executes).

We use the timer method, both for the above purpose, and where we would want a WHEN-VALIDATE to fire an Execute_Query.

--
The above posting represents the personal opinions of the author and
is not to be taken as official (or unofficial) policy or opinions of

Alex Heney, Living in the Global Village.