Re: Oracle8

From: Cpraber <cpraber_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/04/19

In article
<Pine.NEB.3.95.970416133103.21419A-100000_at_cripplecock.sarc.city.ac.uk>, Akmal B Chaudhri <akmal_at_soi.city.ac.uk> writes:

>I read via NewsPage that Oracle8 is to use pointers for object support.
>Anyone know what other things are forthcoming?

My Understandings:

Enhanced complex type and blob support.
Nested "collections". Nested tables.
Enhancements to cli and embedded sql to support new types No polymorphism or inheritence.
No garbage collection.
References to "objects" are really pointers to rows in another table. You have to put an "object ( row )" in a table before you can reference it. Client language interfaces are initially C. There is no transparent oo client to Oracle 8 facility. You have to code to cli.

-Chris.

Chris Raber, Systems Engineer, GemStone Systems Inc. 100 West Big Beaver, Suite 200
Troy, MI 48084
phone: (810)-680-6691, fax: (810)-680-6689, email: craber_at_gemstone.com web: http://www.gemstone.com/