Re: Oracle on Linux. I need the required SCO files.

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1997/04/18

Dennis Taylor (dtaylor_at_pctc.com) wrote:
: "officially" sell a linux port, although the rumour is that Oracle techs
: have successfully ported Oracle to Linux.

The majority of the Oracle code, especially the newer stuff, is written in highly portable 'C' code - they have tools to check for potential portability problems. Thus, I'm not surprised that they could port the RDBMS onto Linux, it would have to be an officially sanctioned port, as that source code is somewhat kept under wraps. There are rumours, damned rumours and (ab)usenet newsgroup threads :)

: The problem here is that the SCO port assumes the existance of certain SCO
: programs, which Linux doesn't have.

This is not totally correct. It is possible to shoe-horn the SCO executables onto Linux using some PERL scripts to replace the SCO programs. I did this operation late last year using the SCO 7.3 production release and the, then, newly released Slackware 96. The installation was a pain in the bum, but I could access the database using sql*plus and sqldba without the sniff of a SCO executable on my system. Using such goodies as Sql*net, Pro*C/C++, OCI, webserver, etc, etc I'm not sure about as I didn't try to use them.

I posted the mini-FAQ that I used to comp.databases.oracle.server (I think) last week.

Also, Alligator Descartes has indicated on the PERL DBI mailing list that he intends to author a mini-FAQ on this subject. On the same mailing list there is at least one other person seriously looking at getting a usable Oracle installation on linux. I suggest that you go over to www.hermetica.com, look for the DBI/DBD pages, follow the links to the mailing list archives and do a search for 'linux' in order to get a feel for what has been said. [Apologies for not being able to give the URL for the mailing list archives, but I'm in the middle of an OS upgrade and haven't fully restored my user accounts and bookmarks :(]

IAP

--
In an attempt to reduce junk email I use an invalid 'From' address.
My correct email address is twod_at_value.net