Re: Oracle web solutions

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/17

Glenn Stauffer wrote:

> I have been given the task of assembling a prototype system whose
> goal is
> to provide web-based administrative solutions in an educational
> environment. Being my area of expertise, I am focused on Oracle as
> the
> database. Now I am trying to determine the configuration of the
> following
> elements:
>
> --- Hardware platform and Operating System for the database and web
> server
> (ideally same machine for both). WindowsNT or Unix?

Yes, you can use both UNIX and NT. Choice is yours - based on a 1000 factors...

> --- Web server software. Should tightly integrate with the
> database
> software and provide Java support.

Try Oracle Web Server 2.1. Supports both PL/SQL and Java.

> --- Search engine. The initial application is providing access to
> the
> central administrative database. Query and update.

See some of the demo's with OWS. Look into add-in products if your needs are more complex.

> My initial though is to go with a total Oracle solution running on a
>
> WindowsNT server. What are the capabilities of such a system?
> Limitations? Are Unix solutions more robust? Are there better
> choices
> than Oracle offers for the web server and search engine software?

IMHO, the Oracle solution is as good, if not better, than all the other solutions out there. Oracle also has good plans for Web integration in OWS 3.0 and Oracle 8.

> Thanks for any comments.

Your Welcome! :-)