Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Billy Wheeler <billy_at_west.co.za>
Date: 1997/04/16

} > Reid Fleming wrote:
} >
} > > Larry Stephenson <larrst_at_digital.net> wrote:
}
} <snip>
}
} > > By the way, I'd highly recommend that you go with Suns over the
} > > RS6000. I've had experience with these databases on the RS6000's,
} > > the Sun servers, and HP 9000's. You really need a box that's more
} > > scalable than the RS6000 if you think of increasing your DB size or
} > > the number of users. The multi-machine approach that IBM takes
} > > to scalability does not work as well as a big, single box that can
} > > take up to 12 processors. I think the databases are just not
} > > written
} > > in a way that take advantage of them.

I'm not sure I agree to this point. My experience and that of my partner has consistently been that Sun is difficult to get performance from, whereas IBM's machines thrive of huge workloads. But that's just an opinion.

--
Ciao,
Billy

Nose to the ground and ear to the grindstone in: Johannesburg

 Why is it hard for women to find men who are sensitive, caring and
 good looking? Because those men already have boyfriends.