Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Reid Fleming <RFleming_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/04/15

Dave Raddatz <raddatz_at_austin.ibm.com> wrote:

>Steve Phelan wrote:
>
>I think Larry's referring to the SP machines (mutltiple RS/6000
>node environment) vs. what you describe as SMP machines (multiple
>chips in a single box).
>
>I believe several DB vendors have written "parallel" versions
>of their products to take advantage of the SP type machines.

If they have, I would be interested in seeing how they turned out. We had one of the first SP2's that we tried using with Sybase System 10. Performance was poor; Sybase recommended that we wait until their 'Navigation Server' became available. We waited for a while, but the product, which they were co-developing with NCR (I believe) was dropped.

I'm not an internals expert, but several DB vendors in the past have spoken of how much more difficult it is to 'parallelize' between machines, versus between processors (like Informix, and to a lesser extent, Oracle, are able to do). I like the idea of separate boxes, and hope that they can make (or have made) this work. Received on Tue Apr 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message