Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_mew.corp.sgi.com>
Date: 1997/04/14

[ 1 - I've snipped, what I believe, were a whole bunch of unrelated

      newsgroups from this note. I've left only the comp.database.*

  2 - If you disagree with what I've written, let's be constructive.

]

In article <3351f3b1.8299223_at_gate.idg.no>, Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no writes:
> ichudov_at_algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home) wrote:
>
> :I have been asked to do a comparison of captioned database engines,
> :to choose a database server for a medium size database (less than 2GB,
> :about 60-100 tables).

I can do a *moderate* comparison between Informix and Sybase (32 bit port):

Sybase 11.0.X                     Informix 7.22
-------------                     -------------
o ~2 gig max for data cache       o 1 gig max for data cache

  Drawback Informix. With a smaller data cache there's less data you   can cache in memory.

o variable I/O read/writes:       o based on platform, only 2/4K read/writes -
  2/4/8/16K                         although on the log there are
                                    group writes

  Drawback Informix. I/O is *always* the bottleneck. Allowing 2/4K   only is very limiting. Oracle does it even better... allowing up   to 128K per I/O. Excellent for DSS and/or table scans.

o private log cache manipulation o internal group commits, no management

                                    allowed by the dba

  Drawback Informix. By allowing the DBA to micro-manage the RDBMS   you can tune for high performance. The log is always the   bottleneck and allowing more "knobs" is excellent.

o table partitioning is limited o heavy support for table

                                    fragmentation

  Drawback Sybase. Informix has excellent "logical" striping. You   can fragment (stripe) your table based on key values or   round-robin. Very nice!

o command line interface:         o no command line interface.  You
  isql/sqsh                         have to use their gui.  Ick!

  Minor drawback Informix. Personally, I hate having to use their   GUI. It's cumbersome because it's ascii based so it's not even a   GUI. o virtual architecture is based o the RDBMS is comprised of many processes   on multiple engines. One
  engine per CPU. Granularity,
  IMHO, is not fine enough.

  Drawback Sybase. I really like Informix's idea of having many   smaller lightweight processes to do the work of the RDBMS. This   really makes sense as machines with many processors are coming   alive. It's easier to distribute the workload across multiple   CPU's.

o device striping not supported o a DBSPACE may be comprised of

                                      striped chunks

  Drawback Sybase. This is a really neat feature of Informix to   allow the DBA to stripe a DBSPACE across chunks (data devices).

Overall:

Due to the limitation of the data cache (max of 1 gig) and the lack of variable I/O read/writes I'd pick Sybase over Informix as of this writing (4.14.97). For a heavy DSS application I'd probably pick Oracle but I don't know enough about Oracle to really say but with a current max of 128K per I/O.... well...

As for stability, I believe that you'll find both products adequate. You'll find a site that says that they've had no problems and another site saying that they have had nothing but problems...

Hope this helps.

--
Pablo Sanchez | wk: 415.933.3812| pg: 800.930.5635 -or- pablo_p_at_pager.sgi.com