Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Nils Myklebust <Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no>
Date: 1997/04/14

ichudov_at_algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home) wrote:

:I have been asked to do a comparison of captioned database engines,
:to choose a database server for a medium size database (less than 2GB,
:about 60-100 tables).

:I would appreciate both pointers to professionally done comparisons, as
:well as your personal opinions on performance and reliabiilty of these
:systems.

There are comparisons available on the net, but they are outdated so fast a pointer to them aren't of much value. All the engines you mention should be able to handle your database.

:There is a special emphasis made on reliability, so your accounts of
:problems and crashes will be much appreciated. Oh yes, the hardware
:will likely be Sun or IBM RS6000.

We have been using Informix databases from something like 1982 and have not ones had to use a backup on any of our installations. Since about 1989 we have allways use PC based hardware with Unix (SCO Unix for the last years) due to the price/performance we get from it (a Compaq Proliant 5000 gives about the same performance as a Sun Ultra Enterprise 3000 at less than half the cost according to the latest TPC/C results) and the reliability is simply excelent as is the support from Informix.

Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no
NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway My opinions are those of my company
The Informix FAQ is at http://www.iiug.org Received on Mon Apr 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message