Re: Oracle book recommendation

From: William B. Severin <wbs109_at_psu.edu>
Date: 1997/04/12

Dan Zhu wrote:

> Hi,
> Can anyone recommen a good (step by step) introductory book to
> Oracle
> software (for undergraduate and graduate) level? Thanks in advance!

 Greetings from Penn State. I have had the unlucky opportunity to be a student
responsible for the Administration of one of our Oracle Databases here. If you
are looking for a good book on Oracle, look to the Oracle Press to start. Their
books (Complete Guide, DBA Handbook, and Beginner's Guide) are a good START. However, if you really want to learn the product you just have to jump
into it. Make sure that you have a good theoretical reference guide as well. We
are using DataBases: Principles, Programming, Performance by Patrick O'Neil.

There are some good references on PL/SQL by O'Reily and Associates, and a
set of three books that ... well I have forgotten their author right now... Oh well.
They teach pl/sql easily and I highly recommend them (I am just bad with names
and don't have it here right now). If you are interested, let me know and I will get that to you too.

Also, make sure that you get metal support for your database. If you do, you can
call Oracle Support and they will send you information about problems that is
SO MUCH BETTER than the manuals, documentation, and books that you will not
have much trouble with problems that you encounter. Received on Sat Apr 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message