Possible problem with owa_util.listprint and MSIE vs. NS

From: Howard Gershen <gersheh_at_onr.navy.mil>
Date: 1997/04/11

We are creating webpages, on-the-fly, from an Oracle database using Oracle's WebServer 2.1 as our webserver. It is running on an HP workstation, with HP-UX 10.10 as the O/S. There is an Oracle-written database procedure named owa_util.listprint that will output the HTML for a menu for a form, with the menu options taken from the output of a database query (we have sorted our output so the last value is NULL). No menu option has been chosen as the "SELECTED" default value.

Here's the problem:

When viewing the resulting HTML forms on MSIE 3.0 (on Win95) and Netscape (3.01 on WinNT and Gold 3.01 on HP's UNIX), we noticed different results. MSIE "automagically" selects the top/first menu option as the default selection. Netscape makes no such selection. (We would prefer that they both choose the NULL option as the default.)

As a result, if we call up the same page in the two browsers, hit the "Clear" buttons, and then the "Submit" buttons, the results are quite different.

We have contacted Oracle to ask if this is something they have noticed with their web server or the owa_util.listprint code that creates the menu. They are looking into the problem, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a problem at the browser level. Can someone check another browser to see if this problem shows up?

Is this an identifiable bug in MSIE? Is there a patch or work-around? Has it been fixed in the (currently-beta) MSIE 4.0?

advTHANKSance for your help,

Howard Gershen
gersheh_at_onr.navy.mil

P.S. Please respond to the email address above, as I am not a regular reader of this newsgroup.