Re: ROBUST:Please dont' use it this term.

From: Andrew Knight <ack_at_tsm.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/07

In article <333C70CB.2739_at_connects.com>, Louis Marchand <louis.marchand_at_connects.com> writes
>People who use the term ROBUST:

SNIP
>I feel it's a term used to bullshit people who aren't
>computer literate. To sound sophisticated...
>
>Forgive me if I'm out of line on this. I don't mean to piss anyone off.

Sorry you just did - and somebody stole my spare tyre from my car this morning (if any one reading this posting sees anyone with a bolt cutter and a spare tyre from a Citreon Zantia wandering the streets of South West London please make a cizizens arrest on mybehalf).

But seriously, don't deride people who use the term robust. I am one, and have been running multiuser database systems for over 12 years on a wide variety of platforms including one of the fist commercial CODASYL systems (define that one for me). Robust, like any adjective (how about the word fast for instance) can be over used. However, as a DBA with responsibility for both in-house and client systems running under Novell, UNIX and NT using Oracle and MS SQL Server the term has real meaning for me in relation to the number of 'self-inflicted' errors that the various RDBMS products suffer from and hence my ability to sleep at night.

If you need a computing term explained in more detailed with specific examples, ask, don't just accuse the poster of being a bullshit artist.
>Louis Marchand
>march014_at_tc.umn.edu
>OR
>louis.marchand_at_connects.com

Andrew Knight                                   e-mail: ack_at_tsm.co.uk
TSM Systems                                     tel   : +44 181 673 7750
London                                          fax   : +44 181 673 1335
                                                http  : www.tsm.co.uk