Re: ROBUST:Please dont' use it this term.

From: Louis Marchand <louis.marchand_at_connects.com>
Date: 1997/03/28

People who use the term ROBUST:

        Forgive me for this post but several of the responses concerning 'Oracle vs. SQLServer' have contained uses of the word 'robust' and I find terribly irritating. What, EXACTLY, does the term 'robust' mean. I'd sure like a clear and unequivocal definition of the term. Is there a benchmark test of DBMS A vs. DBMS B which shows that DBMS A doesn't corrupt (eg. tables don't become corrupt or indexes don't become corrupt or... ) as frequently as DBMS B and is that why a person would call DBMS A more 'robust' than DBMS B? Can you justify your use of this term? If not, then don't use it. I've seen 'robust' used so many times, it's become cliche. Please, I beg you, dont' use it unless you can really justify it in some sort of quantitatve way. The experts on SQLServer (eg. Neil Pike, Kalen Delany, Brian Moran... forgive me if I've misspelled your name) never use it. The software development community uses it to death. I feel it's a term used to bullshit people who aren't computer literate. To sound sophisticated...

Forgive me if I'm out of line on this. I don't mean to piss anyone off.

Louis Marchand
march014_at_tc.umn.edu
OR
louis.marchand_at_connects.com Received on Fri Mar 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message