Re: Performance on NT: Oracle vs. SQLServer?

From: Tim Schwallie <schwatw_at_hpd.abbott.com>
Date: 1997/03/28

doug a blaisdell <dougb_at_world.std.com> wrote in article <E7M0FG.Iyp_at_world.std.com>...
> Hi out there!
>
> We're trying to decide between Oracle and SQL server, for a DSS database
 with
> about 200 Meg of data now, but much larger soon (eg 1 Gig). We've got a
 dual
> processor with 128 Meg (but could increase this), running NT 4.0.
>
> I've heard that Oracle doesn't run as fast on NT, as on UNIX. Have any of
 you
> had experience with either/both, or know of performance benchmarks of
 Oracle
> vs. NT??
>
> Any help appreciated...

Per TPC benchmark tests SQL Server has outperformed NT Oracle. However, one has to be extremely cautious when viewing the TPC benchmark tests since they use similar machines and different client-network configurations, Topology that is not necesarrily protocol. In one comparison, for MS they used 4 client machines, while Oracle used 3 client machines.

Anyway, you are concerned about DSS capabilities, Oracle I consider to be a step ahead in what is offered to developers. However, it is harder to maintain, but their console idea does help. From a logistical point, the console idea has a few flaws, but if you can have one console running your Oracle shop things should be ok.
SQL Server while not offering a robust developers environment, is easier to maintain and actually works after running a setup (except for the mail integration part, but the manuals covered that). Summation, Oracle's robustness can provide performance gains, if used correctly.

So what does this mean? Are you looking into third party systems for DSS capabilities? Would your developers be able to tap the extra capabilities of Oracle? How much batch processing will you be doing, like for roll up tables? Do you have a need for replication?

For support, I think for $180 I can have an MS SQL person available to me in 4 hours. Unfortunately, they can't write patches to fix the product, but they usually have a work around. On weekends, MS seems to have a weaker staff, but the stronger ones are on call. I have heard of Oracle writing product patches for customers on the spot. The debate over quick patches may be a concern as far as quality control and how well fixes can be tracked. I do not know how available Oracle persons are for support, but I have heard they have a two pronged approach, first layer to sell the next version, second layer know their stuff. Does that sound familier?

that's enough... Received on Fri Mar 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message