Re: Tuxedo?

From: Keys Botzum <keys_at_transarc.com>
Date: 1997/03/28

mmcnul_at_jpmorgan.com writes
> Encina doesn't have a message-based architecture like Tuxedo, so it
> has its own issues. Microsoft has been saying that their new TP
> monitor will be message based, but says that the message based part
> won't come out till summer. Look for Viper or Falcon, as I think they
> are calling their TP Monitor.

I'm not entirely sure what the first sentence means, but I'll say this:

  • Encina primarily uses an RPC model for process to process communication. It is fully threaded as well.
  • Encina supports messaging/queueing if you like. It's called the Recoverable Queueing Service (RQS). It's part of the standard product. Lot's of our customers use it for deferred processing.
  • Microsoft's TP work has two parts: one is a messaging/queuing system and the other is an RPC-style/COM-style system. Don't know what the internals are.

FYI: Encina 2.5 is about to ship with CORBA OTS transactional support for Orbix. A Solaris beta is available on our web site (http://www.transarc.com).

Obviously, I like our approach. :^)

I'll answer some of Tarek Hammoud's questions:

:   4. Is there any performance problem with the two-phase commit with a
:      RDBMS backend? Can I do 50, 100/sec inserts and updates to two or
:   three databases at the same time?

This depends heavily on your database, your computing power, and the complexity of what you are doing. With the right equipment the answer is probably yes, but there are too many unknowns in your question.

: 5. What about the future of the products? CORBA?

Encina supports CORBA & DCE now. We also support several RDBM's (Oracle, Sybase, DB2, SQL server, ...) I thinkn our future is bright! :^)

: 6. Are the APIs object-oriented or rather low-level buffer/offset : counting stuff? How can I incorporate that into an distributed OO  app
: framework?

You definitely don't do any of that buffer stuff. You basically make what look like function (native Encina) or method (Encina++ or Encina/CORBA) calls.

Keys

Keys Botzum                               (301) 490-2638
DCE & Encina Technical Consultant         mailto:keys_at_transarc.com
Transarc Corporation                      mailto:keys_at_acm.org
DC/MD/VA Office Received on Fri Mar 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message