Re: ODBC without SQL*Net

From: Gregory S. Lipman <gregory.lipman_at_snet.net>
Date: 1997/03/27

Kenneth J. Knight wrote:

> Everything I read says "ODBC" but them goes on to mention a requirement for
> SQL*Net.
>
> Is there an Oracle ODBC driver out there that does not require SQL*Net
> client software be present?
>
> Where? How Much? Why Not?
>
> How about "native" drivers, for PowerBuilder for example?
>
> Ken

Ken

Every ODBC driver requires underlying database vendor CLI API - call level interface. E.g. ODBC for Sybase requires db- or ctlibrary CLI. Now PB native connectivity is a misnomer - "native in this case means that they provide intermediate driver layer that works on the top of specific vendor CLI as opposed to ODBC CLI. To summarize - does not matter which DB product you purchase you still need client license from server vendor. With license comes CLI libraries like SQLNET for Oracle.

 Regards, Gregory

P.S. There are pure Java Oracle drivers that implement SQLNET stack in Java but that is not what you are looking for. Received on Thu Mar 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message