Re: Tuxedo?

From: Mark McNulty <mmcnul_at_jpmorgan.com>
Date: 1997/03/27

In article 1_at_usenet.dacom.co.kr, HSMMJ_at_chollian.dacom.co.kr (õ¸®¾È NEWS GROUP ÀÌ¿ëÀÚ) writes:
> Tarek Hammoud (hammoud_at_ibm.net) wrote:
> : Zeqing Xia wrote:
> : Hello Everyone,
> : My company is considering using some TP monitor system for
> : transaction
> : processing. In particular we are interested in Tuxedo, Encina, etc..
> : I wonder if some one with working experience can kindly provide with
> : The API is pretty pathetic in a multithreaded environment like NT or
> : OS/2. You must provide
> : your own locks to their client API's.

There are tools that provide hooks and API's and even do alot of it for you. Look at Prolifics (or its earlier version JAM TPi for Tuxedo). I think Powerbuilder and others now provide some support also. Prolifics will also provide help on the service side, where you can create the services with the same tool, and again, it provides hooks, API's, and does alot for you. You can visually design the services, and drag-n-drop objects from the repository to either the client or the service, and inherit changes in both places. Very cool technology, and its actually been around for years. The new version, Prolifics 2.0, also integrates the web, so the same tool can be used to create HTML, JAVA, and JAVA script interfaces, and then can call Tuxedo services on the backend. I don't think there is an technology out there that scales better, or runs on more platforms.

If you want something up fast, it even has wizards, so you can actually be up and going very fast. The wizards create ok services, but you can then re-write or optimize ones that are critical.

They have two version available now, one for full-blown Tuxedo, and one for JetNet, a scaled-down version of Tuxedo. They will be supporting other message-based TP systems as well. I think you'll see this trend extend to other tools, so in the future tools will allow you to plug in any kind of middleware, just like today most good tools allow you to plug in any kind of database. This is almost going to become a necessity, because Microsoft, Sybase, Oracle, etc, are all coming out with their own TP and messaging systems, plus you have CORBA and ORB's, etc. Programmers are going to want to fit all of these together, and not have to worry about re-inventing the wheel each time.

> : As far as administration and other TP features it is very good. If the
> : above is not high on your requirment list, then Tuxedo is a good choice.
> : They are supposed to be integrating their stuff with OTS. We'll see.

> : Take a look at Encina. It completely solves the above problems. It
> : already has OTS support.

Encina doesn't have a message-based architecture like Tuxedo, so it has its own issues. Microsoft has been saying that their new TP monitor will be message based, but says that the message based part won't come out till summer. Look for Viper or Falcon, as I think they are calling their TP Monitor.

Good luck,
Mark McNulty
JYACC Consultant

Note- these views are mine and not those of JP Morgan or JYACC. Received on Thu Mar 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message